The occurrences and happenings at Shalbourne Soaring Society. A gliding club near Andover, Newbury and Hungerford.

Saturday 30th July

After conditions improved a bit I thought that as I was at 3000ft over Chute Causeway I would fly to Andover and take a few photos of my house (as you do!).




It was at this point that I had the idea to carry on to Chilbolton as I had only been there once before many years ago when Dave Owen, determined to land out in the Puchacz, took me for my first XC flight. I should have taken that as an omen as shortly after leaving Andover I encountered steady sink finally turning CBN at 1500ft and not finding any lift!
Looking below I noticed some large recently harvested fields that were very tempting but I was determined to try not to land out (how I wished I had put on the 17mtr tips!). I thermalled down looking for lift until eventually I contacted a small thermal no more than 1000ft agl. I drifted with it over to Wherwell and spent an eternity looking down on the village cricket match and I was sure I could almost see the score on the board!
Pete in 737 called me to say that there was good lift between Andover and the club but the problem was I was 1500ft below final glide. Eventually I gained enough height to leave the thermal and push on back to Andover but all I found was sink again. Once again I found myself looking for a good field but as I passed over the new council dump on Walworth Industrial Estate on the eastern edge of town I contacted a strong thermal that peaked at 5kts, took me up to 2500ft and within final glide of Rivar.
Just goes to show that it doesn't have to be a long flight to be memorable! Oh just in case you are wondering why there is not a photo of CBN .............I was a little to busy to take one!


Phil

1 comment:

  1. Meanwhile, back at the club...
    We tried to make the best of a very cyclic day with a wind just about as cross as it could get. Quite a few landing reciprocal, either due encountering strong sink in the circuit or opting to avoid the turbulence over the trees. Distinct lack of ab-initios and only one TL booked in. However, 4 people turned up on spec to take TLs and one friend of a member so the 2-seaters (and instructors) were kept reasonably busy. One couple had come out from London for the day in search of crop circles and a local had suggested they should visit us. They scrapped enough cash between them for one of them to take a single TL but she was rewarded with a climb to 2,000’ and a first rate view of the crop hexagon at Fosbury. Incidentally, the couple happened to be Polish so a few of us took the opportunity in a lesson in how to pronounce Puchacz.

    ReplyDelete