The occurrences and happenings at Shalbourne Soaring Society. A gliding club near Andover, Newbury and Hungerford.

Sunday 19th

Long(ish) pause was not just down to the weather as we did get one noteworthy day on the 19th. All up and down until Carol and Phil flew the Janus to set "the bar" at 20 minutes. An hour later Pete and Rob notched "the bar" up another 4 minutes. Back to circuits until I took the Vega (can't bear to see a glider on the ground and a cable and nobody using it) and went away for over an hour (only brought it back as I was getting twinges from my wallet). It was difficult to make any headway into wind. The Janus launched shortley after me and seemed to using me as a thermal spotter until it broke free and pushed further into wind than me. They made a bid to get to Lynham but the clouds ran out so returned after an hur and a half. Towards the end of the day Keith collared me to take the back seat as he thought he might get a longer flight that way (there had only been one other soaring flight after the Janus had launched and quite a few circuits). Turns out he was right and we had a soaring flight as did Trevor in the Vega. Drove home along the A4 looking at a sky better than anything we'd seen all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment