The occurrences and happenings at Shalbourne Soaring Society. A gliding club near Andover, Newbury and Hungerford.

Wednesday 30th

Meanwhile, south of the border, Wednesday is a flying day - and a quite reasonable looking one at that.  I should maybe qualify that by saying we could see good looking cu the north, south, east and west and we started the day sitting in the middle of a blue hole.  Whilst rigging his Pilat Justin B asked me if I though a 2 hour flight would be possible and I encouragingly said "yes" but thought "hmm, depends".
Shortly after midday Bill C failed to immediately return in the K8 so Chris K pulled his Cirrus online, shortly followed by me in the LS3.  The ability to scratch and determination to do so was needed but with those, climbs to 3,200' were possible (Chris K claiming that particular prize).  Cloud base was very variable and was down 2,200' at times and in places.  Justin didn't manage his 2 hours but did do over an hour to go towards his cross country endorsement.  Having said a 2 hour was possible I felt obliged to stay airborne for at least that time and that proved to be the longest flight of the day.  In total just over 14 hours of flying was clocked up by "the Wednesday boys" (I'll skip the aka).

No comments:

Post a Comment